When you listen to the term hexagon, what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Let’s discuss what a hexagon is. Hexagon, as the term suggests, can be divided into two parts, the first “hex” which means six, and the second term “gon” which can be defined as the angle or corner of any given figure. The term hexagon has been derived from Greek Terminology. Since the figure, is known to have six sides it is known as a hexagon.
The other name for a hexagon is six-sided. The internal angles of any given hexagon sum to 120 degrees. Let’s know more about hexagons as well as their properties in the article.
What is a Dodecahedron?
Dodecahedrons are polyhedrons with twelve flat sides in geometry. This is the most common dodecahedron, and it is a Platonic Solid with what we call regular pentagons as face sides. In addition, 3 types of regular star dodecahedra are being built as stellations of the convex structure –. All of them have icosahedral symmetry of order 120.
Some dodecahedra have the very same combinatorial structure as the regular dodecahedron, but their pentagonal sides are not regular to one another.
What are the Properties of Dodecahedron?
We already know what a Dodecahedron is, let’s go through the properties of Dodecahedron which include the angles, the sides, the vertices, the shape as well as many other properties of the shape.
- Sides of a Dodecahedron- The sides of a Dodecahedron are a total of twelve in number.
- Edges of a Dodecahedron – The total number of edges in any given Dodecahedron is equal to thirty.
- Vertices of a Dodecahedron – Vertices are defined as the corners of the geometric shape. In any given dodecahedron, the total number of vertices is equal to twenty and each of the vertexes has a total of three edges that meet at a point together.
- Number of Diagonals – The structure of a dodecahedron has a total of 260 diagonals.
- The formula for calculating the total of each & every vertex – The formula for calculating the total of each & every vertex is equal to three times 108 degrees which are equal to 324 degrees.
- Angles of a dodecahedron – All of the angles in any given dodecahedron are equal in the measure and are equal to 108 degrees.
What are the Properties of a Regular Hexagon?
There are many properties of a regular hexagon. Let’s go through the points given below:
- A regular hexagon is known to have a total of six angles as well as six sides.
- The measure of all angles of a hexagon, as well as the length of all the sides of the hexagon, are equal in measure.
- Coming to the number of diagonals, there are a total of 9 diagonals.
- There are a total of six exterior angles, each measuring 60 degrees, the sum of the total of all the angles of a hexagon is equal to 60*6 = 360 degrees.
- There are a total of six interior angles, each measuring 120 degrees, the sum of the total of all the angles of a hexagon is equal to 120*6 = 720 degrees.
How to Calculate the Perimeter of Hexagon?
Let’s know how to calculate the perimeter of any given hexagon. The formula to calculate the perimeter is 6 times the length of a side of any given hexagon.
For example, the side of any given hexagon is equal to 6 cm. Find the perimeter of the hexagon.
We’ve already discussed how to find the perimeter of a hexagon, 6*6 which will be equal to 36 cm.
Do you want to know more about hexagons in detail? Visit the Cuemath website to learn more about the topic.